Thursday, August 1, 2013

[Books] The Cousins' War #2: The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory


July 30 - 31, 2013
Synopsis 
The second book in Philippa's stunning new trilogy, The Cousins War, brings to life the story of Margaret Beaufort, a shadowy and mysterious character in the first book of the series - The White Queen - but who now takes centre stage in the bitter struggle of The War of the Roses.

The Red Queen tells the story of the child-bride of Edmund Tudor, who, although widowed in her early teens, uses her determination of character and wily plotting to infiltrate the house of York under the guise of loyal friend and servant, undermine the support for Richard III and ultimately ensure that her only son, Henry Tudor, triumphs as King of England.

Through collaboration with the dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret agrees a betrothal between Henry and Elizabeth's daughter, thereby uniting the families and resolving the Cousins War once and for all by founding of the Tudor dynasty

Review 

The Red Queen is the second book of the Cousins' War series by Philippa Gregory.

The book tells a story of Margaret Beaufort, and how her life passes from her childhood on through her 30s. The book is told through her perspective, so expect to read through jealous, selfish, annoying whining of Margaret Beaufort. 

I listened to the audiobook while reading the book and as much as I enjoyed The White Queen, I some how knew I would despise this one, knowing that it was about Margaret Beaufort.

I felt sorry for Margaret with what she went through during her childhood years, being alone and unloved by others, and the only one she could turned to is to God. I didn't really think that Margaret would turn out to be one of the most conniving woman I'll ever know in literature. 

I get it that she thinks it's her destiny and the will of God for HER to put her son on the throne of England; being the rightful heir of Lancaster, and I also get it that she's true and committed to God, but doesn't God encourage us to be grateful, to think good of others, and to forgive, despite what they've done? Margaret somehow fails to see and/or believe that. She wishes death to most of those in the way of her son becoming King.

There where multiple time when I would just scream and shout aloud saying "WOMAN!! WHY?! Nooooo!?!" and get the urge to hit her with a shovel.

I know she's been through hell, but honestly...She's a scheming jealous narcissistic little bitch!

The way the scenes in the book was portrayed was great. I liked that it didn't start from when Elizabeth became queen, and that we got to read what Margaret's childhood was like and how she grew into the woman she was. 

One thing about Margaret Beaufort what I admire, is how she pushed herself up from how where near the Court up to standing next to the King and Queen as the Queens lady in waiting, and how good she act and make people believe that she's loyal to the Yorks'. 

If you've read The White Queen, and assume that both the actual Red and White Queens are similar, you are wrong. I'd much prefer the White Queen thank you very much! 

I recommend this hot headed book to those who love reading about the 15th century, about Kings, Queens, Knights, etc., and about scheming and jealous women who command their men from the shadows.


I'm giving this book 2 flowers... for making me feel so frustrated!

2 comments:

  1. I am reading this one at the moment.. and i am sooo frustrated.. but i just wanna finish this now..i wish i had the audible of this book might make it less frustrating for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an awesome series! All the books are so addictive! Thanks for your comment.
      Be sure to check out my new blog http://nadabutamor.blogspot.com/ since I don't post on this blog anymore. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to comment and letting me know that you exist! It is always so great to hear from one of my lovely readers!